I'm not a HUGE cookie person, but when I DO eat cookies, they're USUALLY shortbread cookies and it's USUALLY Christmas time! My mother-in-law, Patty, makes delicious shortbread cookies, and decorates them with the cutest icing! I love the salty-ness of the shortbread combined with the pure sugar of the icing. MMMmmmm! David and I quickly ate through the cookies that Patty gave us, so we set out to make our own.
INGREDIENTS for COOKIES:
DIRECTIONS: **Set oven to 300F**
1. Cream the butter, then add the sugar all at once and cream together
2. Add flour and beat together until the mixture comes together. It works better to remove ingredients from the bowl and massage the mixture together with your hands!
3. "roll" out the dough using your hands (dough should be 1/4 inch thick) and then use Christmas shaped cookie cutters to cut the dough into shapes!
4. Bake on ungreased cookie sheet for 20-30minutes or until golden brown!
While the cookies cool, start making the icing!! :)
INGREDIENTS for ICING: (**I doubled this recipe for one batch of cookies!**)
1. whisk the sugar and milk until smooth
2. Beat in the corn syrup and vanilla until icing is smooth and glossy
3. Divide icing into bowls (we did 3 bowls) and add one colour of food colouring to each bowl
**note: the icing tightens up quickly, so you should use it RIGHT away!!**
4. START DECORATING YOUR COOKIES! I found it easiest to use the back of a spoon to spread the icing, but David opted for a knife.....ha.....who's do you think turned out better? ;)
5. Stop to take a couple of selfies with your baking partner!
...and then re-adust so that the selfie-stick is NOT in the picture ;) ha ha
6. ADMIRE (and sample-lol) YOUR AMAZING WORK!
I brought these cookies to my CHRISTMAS PARTY at work and they were a HUGE hit!! They also won 1st prize in a contest that my sister-in-law entered at HER school! SERIOUSLY...you HAVE to try them! :)
Hi! I'm Mrs. Julia Dawe,