I’ll never forget my first experience with hair removal. I was in Grade 5 and in search of moisturizing cream for a dry leg when I stumbled upon a bottle of NAIR in a bathroom cupboard. I rubbed it all over my one dry leg and waited the suggested 5ish minutes. To my horror, when I wiped the cream off of my leg, all of my leg hair came off with it! AHHH! I remember being SO afraid! I didn’t want to lose the hair on my other leg too, so I left it "au natural"…ha ha. When I went to school a guy in my class noticed that one of my legs was not like the other-UGH, boys- and I was forced to remove the hair from the other leg. This time I chose to use a razor- and the only one I could find was one of those old, cheap, pastel coloured BIC ones. I pressed so hard with the razor that I ended up gouging out a large chunk of my flesh causing pretty intense bleeding! I still have the scar on my shin- it’s about 2 inches long- and it serves as a constant reminder to only use QUALITY hair removal products!
So what razors do I use? Up until recently I thought the Gillette Venus ComfortGlide razors were the best on the market… I mean, they are the most expensive, right?! Then one day I forgot to bring my razor into the shower and David had left his men's Gillette Fusion5 ProGlide razor with flexball technology in the shower (meant to be? Or meant to be?) so I decided to just use his! OH MY GOSH GIRLS… we are missing out!
The Fusion5 Proglide razor with flexball technology is like the DYSON of razors! The shave was clean and close to my skin, the razor was easy to maneuver around tricky areas- my ankles and knees- and it left my legs feeling SO GREAT! The price? Only $9!!!
Girls, go get yourselves a men's Fusion5 Proglide razor ASAP! You won’t regret it!
SUMMER BREAK IS ONLY 5 WEEKS AWAY! WOOHOO! While part of me is wanting the next 5 weeks to fly by as quickly as possible, the other part of me is SO aware of how easy it is to live in the future and miss out on making the most of the present! With that understanding I'm entering this 'home stretch' with the intention of making the most of every day that's left in the 2016-2017 school year!
Here are some extraordinary ordinary moments from life recently:
1. Spending my lunch break 'picnicking' with Robert, John and my mom to celebrate my mom's big birthday!
2. Finding out that I have $60 worth of Shoppers Optimum points saved up! Can anyone say SHOPPING SPREEE?!?!
3. Cooking the most incredible dinner with Jenna and Phylicia last week! Seriously the quinoa and apple salad with curry dressing is to DIE for!
4. Getting a salad lesson from David's 91 year old poppy, Walter! I'm obsessed with the way he dresses his salad so I was thrilled to hear the tips/tricks for dressing the perfect salad from the master himself! (Also how similar are these 2?!?! It blows my mind!)
5. Hitting up Chocolat Favoris in Aurora for the 4th time (but with 2 newbies)! :/ I'm happy to announce that I've finally decided on my go-to flavour- vanilla soft serve with the dark chocolate orange dip! MMmmmm!
6. When God speaks the perfect words to you through your counter top flip calendar! God is SO good!
Okay. So we’ve officially reached the most trying time of the year. The weather is so nice that you want to treat yourself to ice cream EVERY. SINGLE. DAY (**confession: David and I went to Chocolats Favoris for ice cream 3 times last weekend) BUT you also know that summer is coming and way too quickly you’re going to be baring it all on the beach next to people who did not eat ice cream EVERY. SINGLE. DAY.
UGH why is life so difficult, eh? ;) Why can’t we have it all- the sweet treats and the beach bod?
Well that's where my mind was at when I stumbled upon my new favourite sweet treat... 'NOMZ'!
I first discovered 'NOMZ' on a lunch break at Pusateri’s. The cute packaging caught my attention but it was the impressively short list of ingredients that sealed the deal! NOMZ are organic, gluten free, paleo and vegan snacks that don't have any refined sugar! They are a pit pricey ($5 for a pack of 2 bite-sized snacks) but I’m SO HAPPY that I bit the bullet and bought them (sorry David) because they were SO DELICIOUS!!
Since spending $5 on a snack is not sustainable long term, I decided to go home and experiment with making my own. My version turned out REALLY well- super delicious, all natural and pretty nutritious- the perfect snack to take the edge off of my next ice cream craving, and hopefully yours too! :)
What you'll need:
What to do:
1. Put the nuts and shredded coconut into a food processor and blend until combined.
2. Add the dates, coconut oil, sea salt, vanilla and cocoa powder and blend again until the mixture has a uniform, sticky consistency.
3. Take a second to sample the mixture (obvi) and marvel at how incredibly delicious this concoction is!
4. Scoop the batter using a tablespoon and roll the mixture into balls using the palms of your hands. Then lay the balls on a cookie sheet and place the cookie sheet in the freezer for 1 hour.
5. Remove from the freezer and store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks...but I can promise you they wont last that long ;).
Hi! I'm Mrs. Julia Dawe,